So this is enough to wake the dead, evidently. After so many years of rage and delight and boredom and irritation and elucidation IT HAS COME TO THIS.
Does anyone remember my dealbreaker? Lou Scwechheimer does because I told him personally.
HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO LOU?!
Can I list the reasons why this is a terrible idea? You know how much I love to do this.
1. Everybody hates this plan. No one is behind it. Everyone is angry. This is a small state and people hold grudges.
2. NO ONE ASKED FOR A NEW BALLPARK. Everyone liked McCoy Stadium. It was perfectly functional and accessible. AFFORDABLE.
EVERYBODY LOVES MCCOY STADIUM.
3. We will all end up paying for a stadium we don't really want. Fact.
4. If you park over by Corliss Point, the odds are good that your car will be broken into. I know people who this has happened to. One night I was walking over to the HC and I passed a string of cars with smashed in windows. It's a problem down there.
5. People who live in Massachusetts will not want to go to Providence. People in Massachusetts can't even be bothered to visit RI already. You know what they think of Providence? That's it a ghetto city with confusing roads and no place to park.
People from Woonsocket or Chepachet or East Providence or Johnston or Cumberland will go to Pawtucket. They will not go to Providence.
I'll be back Thursday. I need to do some research. I should start by looking at the Charlotte Knights' move from Fort Mill, SC, to Charlotte.
I hope Lucchino's prepared to deal with Rhode Island officials. This state is not known for its smooth approach to new business.