Road trip! I took a quick jaunt up to Manchester, NH today for some AA ball. The Fisher Cats are the Blue Jays, the Defenders are the SF Giants. And, yeah, YOU'D BETTER DEFEND CONNECTICUT! (Connecticut was once voted 'US State You'd Most Like to See Eliminated' by several of my friends and family.)
I saw the Defenders when they were the Norwich Navigators when I was in Portland last year. So I was kind of rooting for them. And they won, 3-0. Their pitcher, lefty Patrick Misch, totally stymied the Fisher Cats. He had 6 strikeouts, but know what? I don't think K's are as meaningful at the AA level, because those kids'll swing at anything. At any rate, he held 'em to two hits through six.
Ismael Ramirez took the loss for New Hampshire. Guess those rosary beads weren't much help. OH, SNAP!
The park was... functional. I don't have a problem with that. I'm not one of those fans that needs schmancy. What I do find stupid is the name: Merchantauto.com Park. Are you kidding me? Do they really think people are calling it that? That instead of saying, "I'm going to a Fisher Cats game tonight", people say, "I'm heading over to Merchantauto.com Park after work" ?
Let's talk about something else.
1. LaBatt's beer at the park! Isn't that nice?
2. I love love LOVE the "I Just Made an Awesome Defensive Play" poker face. How can it be that when an infielder leaps and snares a smoking line drive all Pokey-like, he just tosses it in for a little around the horn without breaking stride? How can they not turn cartwheels or clap their hands or do the Cabbage Patch? Cool as hell.
3. How can there be more than one ceremonial first pitch? I understand that little Jenny and Jeff should both get the honor, but wouldn't that include the ceremonial second pitch? This is really getting out of hand.
4. The Rules and Regs often use the phrase "family friendly" at ballparks. Whose family? Obscene language is cause for ejection most times. Geez, my family always used profanity in front of the kids. Usually we just giggled. I think the people most bothered by swear words are adults.
5. Speaking of which, if two women go to the ballpark and one of them says to the other, "I fucked my husband last night", can she get kicked out?
6. I don't think I saw a single non-white person at the park today. It probably shouldn't bother me, but it does. It's creepy.