Toledo just KILLS Pawtucket, 12-2
I haven't talked too much about Barry Hertzler. I should have pointed out that he isn't very good, but most of that sort of thing I waste on Craig Hansen. Maybe because no one EXPECTS Hertzler to be very good. He's 26 years old and pitching in Portland and has an ERA over 16. What does that tell you?
So Hertzler gave up seven runs in this game. He has been sent back down to Portland. He can commiserate with Chadd Spann.
Joel Pineiro started for Pawtucket. You may remember him as a Seattle Mariners starter. I'm sure he was in great mood and eager to meet his new teammates... perhaps after the game they all went out to one of Toledo's many hotspots.
Jamaica Plain pitched three scoreless with a walk and a strikeout. Devern Hansack got one out in the fourth inning and then was yanked. Why? Unspecified injury. Hansack gave up two runs before being replaced by Edgar Martinez, one of which was a solo shot by CF Andres Torres.
Getting to Edgar: Martinez gave up three runs in the two innings he pitched. He was replaced by Barry Hertzler. Then the seven runs. I guess RJ was sort of at a loss because Zach Borowiak pitched the eighth inning. Zach Borowiak is an infielder. Borowiak held the Mud Hens scoreless and struck one out, but they may have just been messing with him.
Righty Ron Chiavacci started for Toledo. Chiavacci gave up seven hits and two runs in six innings. Eulogio De La Cruz pitched a scoreless seventh and eighth. Justin or Jason or Josh Johnson pitched the ninth, also scoreless.
David Murphy hit a solo home run off Chiavacci. Michael tucker doubled. Jeff Bailey made an error, stole a base, and was hit twice by two different pitchers. Busy night! Joe McEwing was 4-5 with an RBI.
Dane Sardinha, Chris Shelton, and Mr. Mateo all doubled. MVP Timo Perez had five RBI. Wow!
So, yeah, crummy game for Pawtucket.
1. It's Jeremy! Jeremy Johnson!
2. I just realized that July 25th was not yesterday. Curt Schilling pitched yesterday but I am not sure exactly when that was.
3. Apparantly Barry Hertzler flipped the fuck out after this game. He threw some trash in the Pawtucket dugout and then punched the crap out of a door, destroying it. He is being billed by Toledo for the damages.
4. Chiavacci was pitching with a broken intestinal blood vessel. Sounds painful. What is he, some kind of tough guy?
5. The benches emptied when Bailey was hit the second time. In all my Pawtucket games, I have never seen the benches empty. Yet I see it happening occasionally in away games. Do they try real hard to be good when they're at home?
6. Chris Smith back in Portland. Brady Clark (OF) now in Pawtucket. Ellsbury and his groin are retro-seven day DL'd.
7. Oh, yeah, we have Brady Clark now.
I guess I'll get cracking on that Schilling game.