Mud Hens win, 8-3, in another crap start by Doug Mathis. Mathis gets the loss, Toledo starter Adam Wilk gets the win.
Mathis pitched five innings and gave up six runs, five earned, on eight hits. The runs began piling up even the first inning, when Mathis gave up back-to-back singles to lead everything off. What a bum!
Andrew Miller subsequently pitched two clean innings, striking out five and walking two. Alex Wilson pitched the eighth, gave up a couple more runs. Not that it mattered, since Pawtucket was not scoring enough runs to erase Mathis' start.
But enough about that. Adam Wilk pitched seven one-run innings. He gave up three hits, none for extra bases. There's your story, right there.
Rob Waite got a couple of outs, but not before Nate Spears tripled off him, scoring a couple of runs. A triple! So far, it's only the third triple of the season for Pawtucket.
Chris Bootcheck pitched the remainder of the game and got the save. A save?
1. "Former Tigers prospect Andrew Miller, on a 30-day rehab assignment for Pawtuckett, threw two scoreless innings of relief Tuesday. Miller has a 6.30 ERA in nine Paw Sox appearances." - from David Briggs, Toledo paper. (game story) (you spelled Pawtucket wrong)
2. Hey, the Mud Hens' hits were almost entirely singles! Justin Henry hit one double, but that's all. Henry wound up going 4-5, so let's all sign a card for him.
3. Adam Wilk's start is kind of a demotion.
4. Didn't I say that Casey Crosby was starting? I did. I got that information from Sox Prospects, and they have been wrong for the third time in a week about the opposing starter. The weird thing is that Casey Crosby himself notified me he wasn't pitching: "nope I'm pitching Thursday. Wilks on the bump tonight". So there you have it: Crosby goes on Thursday.
5. From Fear the Shadow, regarding Wilk's big league start: "Adam Wilk pitched poorly tonight. He went 2 innings and gave up 6 runs on 8 hits. Hey Adam, just a note: this is the majors and the Mariners aren't a good offensive team, so this kind of performance isn't gonna work." (posted by gladdyontherise)
6. Hyder talks about the Toledo hotel and hanging in the lobby. Says he's never eaten at the hotel restaurant. He's not missing anything. It's a nice post, so go read it.
7. Adam Wilk misses going to the beach.
Tonight! It's Ross Ohlendorf v Doug Fister, who is rehabbing. Go for the ribs, Pawtucket!